Been there . . .

. . . an archive of ride and event descriptions

(We've been doing this for more than ten years but this list only goes back to February, 2004. Recently, most of the ride descriptions are in the newsletters. These are just descriptions, full reports for some rides and events can be found in the articles and ride reports and in the newsletters)

Past rides and happenings

Date Event
July 29 '06 Ride: Ron Aikins was followed by a good-sized group of BMWs, some Suzukis, a Honda, and a Triumph as he lead us past William Randolph Hearst's grave to the City of the Dead. We lost some folks along the way but everyone made it home safely.
Ride report in the August '06 club newsletter.
17-18 June '06 Ride: Chuck and Denny led a small but appreciative group to the Russian River.
Ride report in the August '06 club newsletter.
15 May '06 Ride: An ample turnout rode to a picnic at the UCSC Arboretum via Hecker Pass, New Almaden, and Empire Grade with Mike Clark.
18 March '06 Ride: BBQ at Larry's Panoche Inn with Bob and Sally Wilson. [ride report]
25 February '06 Ride: To the Wool Growers in Los Banos, following Chuck Hof. [ride report]
6 January '06 Ride: Ron Aikins and his band of Pranksters attempt La Honda in the rain. [ride report]
10 December '05 Annual club party at the Braziers. The made it look so easy I think we should have it there every year.
5 November 2005 Ride: Led by Dick Dodd. We took the SLO route to The Apple Farm for lunch.
24 September Ride: Led by Chuck Hof to the Woolgrowers, Los Banos.
16 July 2005 Ride: Somewhere north with Prez. Ron Aikins (no details yet)
25 June 2005 (4th Saturday) Ride: Avila Beach with Ron Aikins
14 May 2005 Ride: Wilsons' Wimp-free ride to Coalinga. [ride report]
16 April 2005 Ride: Be there when it happens! Parkfield for lunch. [ride report]
March 12-13 2005 Ride: Death Valley. [ride report]
15 January 2005 Ride: Further to La Honda [description][ride report]
18 December 2004 Ride: Half Moon Bay for lunch [description]
4 December 2004 Holiday Party [description]
6 November 2004 Ride: SLO Food [description]
23-24 Oct. 2004 Ride: Garberville and the Avenue of the Giants - CANCELLED [description]
18 September 2004 Ride: "al Ciudad del Rey" [description]
21 August 2004 Ride: "Meander to Woodside" [description]
19 June 2004 Ride: Chuck and Denny led the "O Sole Mio Ride" to Pacifica [description]
12 June 2004 Picnic: Club BBQ at the Brazier's in Hollister [description]
15 May 2004 "Betty's Ride" to Cambria, Overnight. Steve Pribula led. [description][ride report]
17 April 2004 Ride: Back Roads and Lamb Stew with Tom Brazier [description][ride report]
13 March 2004 Ride: Dick Dodd led the "Ah, Smell the Manure" ride [description]
20 February 2004 Ride: Mike Clark led through the rain to steak & quake at the Parkfield Cafe [description]

March 18: BBQ in Panoche led by the Wilsons

A ride report from the pillion by Sally Wilson (from the April, '06 newsletter)

BBQ temps

Kinda cold for Al Fresco

Saturday, March 18th, dawned a blessing and a surprise as we were sure we wouldn't be able to go because of Friday's severe weather.

BBQ temps

Unindicted co-conspirators

Luck prevailed and at 10 AM (it was cold even then) stalwart riders: the Adkins, Louie, Lee, Mike (the herder and intel relayer), Ron and Terry (2 bikes), and a real nice guy whose name I can�t remember..has a silver/yellow GS and ourselves...ooops I almost forgot Red (on four wheels) for a BBQ date in Panoche Valley. If I have left anyone out I am truly memory hasn't improved with age.

We headed for Elkhorn Slough and lost the GS rider who later showed up at Larry's anyway. Then zipping through Prunedale to 101, we headed for Crazy Horse, Old Stage, Iverson and back to 101, Soledad and on to King City for a brief stop and it was still cold. Then out to Bitterwater, Hwy 25 and Panoche Road, alot of bumps and potholes then, somehow, our Fearless Leader must've been hungry because the scenery began to pass in a blur, we were, indeed, just flyin'.

Bikes and beans

An exercise in social decorum

Approximately 200 miles and well done by all. Larry and Cheryl Lopez opened their place to the ranchers in the area plus what seemed to be way many Harley riders (with loud pipes to prove it!), and our Beemer bunch. The BBQ was excellent...lamb, beef, pork, a great salad and other sides plus OUR table was entertained by one Michael O'Clark with VERY funny Irish jokes...may St. Patrick's Day last forever!!

Well, it had gotten brutally cold and it was time to go back to the warmth of the KLT's heated seats (didn't you wish you had 'em?) and home. Thanks all who came along with us.

Sally Wilson

February 25 '06 Ride: Los Banos with Chuck Hof

We Rode, We Ate, We Rode Home--Ron Aikins sums up the February 2006 ride to Los Banos

Without going into details, that sums up most of our rides, but we never live up to our credo, "Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride," quite as well as when we make our annual trek to the Wool Growers in Los Banos. The unique thing about this year's ride was the fact that it had to be postponed a week due to cold weather. I think that's the first time one of our rides has been cancelled due to low temperatures. It has been an exceptionally cold winter so far, that is, when it's not being exceptionally warm.

The turnout was good: ten people on seven bikes, 2 K's and 5 R's. By the time we got to Larry's place in Panoche it was time to strip off some of the heavy gear. Leader Chuck Hof led us on a merry chase through places like Merced and Dos Palos. I had begun to think Chuck had found a Basque restaurant in Merced and was going to surprise us with it when the next sign indicated we were but a few miles outside of Los Banos. Well then, Wool Growers it is!

The food was as good and plentiful as usual, and the red table wine was particularly tasty. Lamb chops were the most popular, but they also offered chicken and pork chops. Our group hung around digesting and chatting until we realized everyone else had left. Ah, now if they had just had some big, comfy chairs and a bottle of port, I might still be there.

Jan '06 Ride: Attempting Los Altos with Ron Aikins

[editor's note: Here's an excerpt from Ron's President's Report from the February newsletter]

Into Each Life�

The weather forecast for the third Saturday looked very good. The term "sunny" was even included. As I rode out of Pacific Grove that morning early enough to get to the Red Apple for a pre-ride breakfast, I noticed nothing threatening in the sky. By the time I reached Watsonville I was wiping the residue of a heavy mist from my visor. I dismissed it in my mind as just a lingering bit of fog that would surely burn off before the ride even started.

Judging from the turnout for the ride, no one else suspected a day of rain, either. I believe there was a total eleven bikes that began the ride, though two left the procession along the way due to weather and other obligations. Did I mention that besides being rather wet it was also on the chilly side? Everyone stayed bundled up and those who had electrical gear put it to good use. I can't say that it actually rained the whole day. Some of the time there was no precipitation at all, others there was a light mist falling. The roads were always wet, however, so a slower, careful pace was appropriate.

At the second rest stop in Saratoga I realized the weather wasn't going to be the only problem. I'm afraid I had done an incomplete job of checking the restaurant arrangements. I made a call to La Honda House to let them know eleven would be showing up soon, but all I got was an answering machine with a recording that reported the staff would be on vacation until the first week of February! Eeks! What now?

A few options quickly went through my mind. Saratoga would be a rather pricey place for lunch, besides it was too early. The plan was to follow Highway 9 up to Skyline Boulevard and ride the ridge to a short stop at Alice's Restaurant. We could instead follow 9 down to Santa Cruz, stopping in one of the towns along the way for lunch. I couldn't immediately think of a place that would be good for a party of eleven. Alice's probably couldn't take us, either, and La Honda had no other options.

At least no members seemed terribly upset when I explained the situation. It was finally decided to proceed to Alice's then ride down to Woodside. The club's experience at Woody's hadn't been entirely positive, but there was the Woodside Bakery and Café next door. Neither place had offered separate check service in the past, but at that point, beggars couldn't be choosers and some compromises would have to be made. Dale Whyte and Marilyn Dodd had planned to drive up to La Honda and meet us for lunch, so they had to be notified by cell phone. Given the conditions, they opted for an afternoon shopping at the mall.

The ride along Skyline offered the greatest variation in conditions. We rode through a fine mist, outright rain, then it let up to the point I could see a few blue holes in the cloud layer. That was followed by a stretch of fog so thick that riders lost sight of each other. Many things could be said about this ride, but no one could say it was boring.

The choice in Woodside was determined by the wait time for a table. We only had to wait about thirty minutes at the bakery and caf�, and even though it's a relatively small place and we weren't able to all sit together, they managed to seat us at tables of six and five. Speaking for myself, the food was excellent, probably a notch above what we might have had at La Honda House. At least something that day turned out better than expected.

Returning home, folks either headed east out of Woodside to connect with Highway 280, or backtracked with me up 84 past Alice's, La Honda (sure enough, a large "Closed" sign in the restaurant window), and a brief stop at the San Gregorio General Store. A few miles before reaching San Gregorio the sky cleared and the roads were dry. The ride down Highway 1 back to Santa Cruz was ideal, conditions I had expected to prevail the whole day.

I was asked at some point about the "rain cancels" note in my ride announcement. Well, yeah, but I kept expecting it to stop! By the time I realized it would probably be one long wet one, we were more or less past the point of no return. It was a day when I might well have chosen to ride myself, but I would not have planned to lead others. However, many told me they enjoyed the ride very much in spite of the conditions and the snafu with lunch arrangements. I think perhaps many of our members appreciate a "challenging" ride more than they are willing to admit.

[top of page]

May '05 Ride: Wilsons' Wimp-free ride to Coaling

[editor's note: this report by ride co-leader Sally Wilson is the first distaff pillion report in our memory. Observant readers will note that this 3rd Saturday ride was an the 2nd Saturday.]

Leaving from Salinas for the Wilson Wimp-free Wild & Wooly Ride, we expected to see few joining us but were pleasantly surprised to see the Adkins and Ron Aikins there ahead of us. Soon we were equally as happy to greet Dick Dodd, Glen Gray and Kurt Lofgren. Bright and bushy-tailed, we left on a somewhat round about way to Hollister to gas up for the rest of the ride. The Pinnacles was our first stop and it seemed euphoric to be out in such beautiful weather and gorgeous scenery. A good smooth ride to Los Gatos Creek Park with very little water in the "dips" and no wandering cattle. After a brief break, we embarked on the REALLY interesting part of the ride....lots and lots of curves and less than smooth roads,,,where Denny and I, as co-riders, could gaze at the eye-popping green hills valleys, wildflowers and SMELL the wild herbs...great stuff. Eventually, after approx. 145 miles, we arrived in Coalinga (destination) and (bless you all for being good sports) we waived our tastes for Michelin Five Star eateries in favor of Perkos which, actually, was the only game in town. After a sumptuous repast, we went our separate ways to head for home. We opted for 198 thru Priest Valley (a personal fave) and then 101 which was as windy as we've ever seen it. Anyway, a day well done and many thanks to those who shared this adventure!!

Sally the Intrepid

[top of page]

March Ride: Death Valley duo

[editor's note: This is Ron Aikins's tale of leading the club ride to Death Valley in March, 2005. It appeared in the April and May newsletters but was missing the last few paragraphs. This is the complete report.]

I'm happy to say participation in the March ride was up 100% from that of February. February's ride consisted of one bike. The March ride counted two. Looking on the positive side, if we continue at this rate we'll have over 1,000 bikes for the December ride. Whoever leads that one needs to locate a fairground somewhere for lunch reservations.

As planned, I showed up at the semi-official club ride starting point, the Shell station at Blanco and S. Main Streets in Salinas, at 8:30 AM. Pulling in at nearly the same moment was Monsieur Louis Frutschi on his R100S. Not being in a hurry, we had a coffee after filling up and waited without much anticipation for any unexpected latecomers to show. None did, so we set off on a beautiful morning and settled into a stretch of slab riding down 101. After a rest stop in Paso Robles, we connected with Highway 58 at Santa Margarita and enjoyed that beautiful road made even more beautiful by the spectacular display of wildflowers in the bright sunshine.

We made a brief stop in McKittrick, but the offerings there for lunch weren't attractive enough, so we pressed on to stop for food and gas in Bakersfield. My original plan consisted of two highways: 101 and 58, stopping for the night in Tehachapi. Louis was more of a mind for taking Highway 178 out of Bakersfield and reaching Ridgecrest via Lake Isabella. As it was just the two of us and I agreed it was a more interesting route that would leave us that much closer to Death Valley, off we went. We checked into the Econo Lodge in Ridgecrest and later, by lucky guess, picked out an excellent restaurant. Since Louis is a restaurateur, his opinion may carry more weight than mine, but we were both impressed with the China Garden restaurant.

The next morning gave us a few hints about things to come. There was frequent traffic along the roads leading to the park, much more frequent than I had ever seen. We stopped at the junction where one road leads to Wildrose and cars were coming by so often one could hardly take a discreet leak roadside without being, well, indiscreet. Traffic at that junction was made worse by the fact that many folks insisted on taking the Wildrose route, only to find it closed and having to return.

As we pulled into Stovepipe Wells things seemed more or less normal. Louis was not enthusiastic about camping in the "parking lot" there, and even suggested we might check the motels in Beatty. We should have done so right away, but opted instead to go on to Furnace Creek to check the situation there. That's when the full impact of wildflower madness hit us. Yes, there were yellow (and a sprinkling of blue) flowers lining the roads, if you could get a good look at them between the rows of parked cars. Death Valley was actually getting crowded!

Fortunately we arrived at Furnace Creek in time to eat lunch at the caf� after waiting only about ten minutes. Not long after we finished eating the wait had grown to an hour and the parking lot was crammed. At that point it still didn't fully dawn on me that the motel situation must be getting desperate, because instead of phoning for reservations we decided to just make a day ride out of Death Valley by riding out the south end of the park and then finding rooms somewhere.

As I had already been advised by Mike Clark and Ron Dunton, the most impressive display of flora was around the Ashford Mill Ruins. Thousands of acres were blooming bright yellow all over the valley floor and covering the nearby hills. Determined to take home my own record of the phenomenon, I turned off at the short dirt road to the ruins to take pictures. Have you heard people say of the R11GS bikes that they're really too big and heavy for serious dirt roads? Well, that goes for the K1200LT in spades! The road was only about a quarter mile long each way and negotiable as long as you dodged the worst of the holes and ruts. I made it back to the pavement without incident, but that was enough dirt for the LT for one trip.

While we were at the ruins I happened to overhear a group of people speaking French. I pointed them out to the gregarious Louis who soon found out they were from Lyons and discovering what they could of the American Southwest during a brief visit, sans maps. (I just had to work a French word in here somewhere.) They needed to be in L.A. to catch their flight home the next day. Louis did what he could to direct them, including giving them his own map.

The rest of the ride out of the park was lovely, the textures and contours of the hills changing minute by minute as the sun swung lower in the sky. We pulled into the little town of Shoshone and inquired about the chances of finding accommodations nearby. I didn't like our chances of getting a room in the one little motel in town to begin with, but the lady at the desk informed me that not only were there no rooms available in Shoshone, there were none within a radius of a hundred miles, including Baker, nearby towns in Nevada, and Las Vegas! It seems that not only was there a wildflower frenzy in Death Valley, but Las Vegas was also hosting a NASCAR event that had the town booked, not that Louis and I were seriously thinking of spending the night in Vegas. She had recently had a CBS film crew staying at her motel to document the unusual bloom in Death Valley. Little wonder there was no room at the inn that weekend.

As we were preparing to leave town, a man and woman pulled up on a Honda ST1100, and I knew what they were going to ask. We gave them the bad news in as cheery a tone as possible, but it was evident the man saw no humor in the situation at all. We were soon to learn why. After he marched off with a serious expression into the same motel office to investigate alternatives, his companion removed her helmet and let us know that although she wouldn't say this to him, she would tell us that they wouldn't be in such a predicament if he hadn't been messing around wasting time all day instead of getting on the way and� they had to be at his mother's all morning and� all this just so they could ride clear over here to see those #@&*%^# flowers and� she should really have been at work that day and�

Louis and I stood silent for a few moments as the barrage rolled over us. One thing was certain: we couldn't just walk away. This poor guy was in trouble, deep trouble, the kind none of us men wants but we all know we'll end up in once in a while despite our best intentions. (I could imagine his thinking on the ride: "I can tell she's not too happy. What was I supposed to do? I catch it from my mom if I don't spend enough time there, I catch it from her if we're there too long. Well, it's a pretty day. After a nice ride we'll find room, have a nice meal, and tomorrow when she sees Death Valley and the wildflowers things will be alright." The bad news we gave him must have awakened that taunting voice inside his head: "Nice going, Bucko. Now instead of finding her a place to rest you're going to have to tell the little lady she has to plant her tush back on the bike and ride another couple of hours in the dark before she can rest her head on a pillow. Now, how do you think she's gonna like them apples?")

We had to do something fast. We tried to joke about it; we were in the same fix, after all, and whadda ya gonna do? We tried reassuring her that the valley really was worth the trip. Louis, always looking on the positive side, posited that when traveling such situations weren't problems, they were adventures. He regaled her with a tale of his own misfortune when traveling once in Europe. He had arrived late at night in a town with no rooms available and a transportation strike. Was he dismayed? Not our Louis! He presented himself at the local gendarmerie, explained his predicament, and accepted the offer of a free night in a jail cell. Voila!

Her mood seemed to lighten a bit, but when Louis showed her on a map where the closest towns were which might have rooms available, she gasped, tracing the route from Shoshone with her finger, "All the way over there?" I was doing a bit of map study myself at the time with a smaller scale map than Louis'. I suggested she consider the route on my map instead so it wouldn't seem so far. She laughed at that - laughed! Aha! We might just save this guy's bacon after all. At least I'd like to think so. They definitely seemed in a better state of mind when we left them at the filling station on our way out of town.

And where were we headed as a solution to our own problem (excuse me, adventure) in finding rooms for the night? I began to picture a rolling wave of disappointed travelers extending all the way to San Bernardino, so I made a call (pay phone, no cell service in Shoshone) and reserved a room in - Barstow! It was a far cry from my original plan, but we weren't keen on the idea of riding back into the park and arriving at a campsite in the dark. It was a very pleasant ride at any rate. The sun set on our way to Baker, which meant we were able to enjoy the sights of twilight in the desert.

The real question came the next morning: now we're in Barstow, not Death Valley, and instead of camping, we've spent two nights in motels. So what to do with the rest of the trip? After considering several alternatives, the best we could do was decide we were definitely going to head west, so we'd ride to Mojave and make another decision. Our adventure was developing piecemeal.

By Mojave I had definitely made up my mind that I wanted to camp at least the last night of the trip, and there was an abundance of campgrounds on my map in the Los Padres Forest just west of Highway 5 at Gorman. Louis graciously bowed to my wishes (perhaps he already had an inkling of the eventual outcome) and followed me south on Highway 14, then west on 48 through the area generally known as Antelope Valley. After lunch in Frazier Park, I called the Forest Service number to find out about some of the campgrounds about 25 miles away. I pictured us setting up camp early enough that we could relax and enjoy a peaceful and cool mountain forest. It was not to be. The kind lady who answered the phone informed me that none of the campgrounds in the area were open, even those listed as "open all year" due to the punishing winter weather that had ravaged so much of southern California. Either the campgrounds themselves were closed, or the roads to them.

Drat! Was there anything farther north that seemed appealing and might likely be open? Then I remembered the KOA campground near Lake Santa Margarita where years ago I had attended a NorCal meeting. It wasn't situated at a high altitude and the recorded message I listened to when I called verified they were open. So we rode back out to I-5 with a plan of jumping on Highway 166 and thence to 101 north to Santa Margarita.

As soon as we climbed the ramp onto I-5 we entered a fog so thick I thought I was finally going to experience the infamous Thule fog of the Central Valley. I was not thrilled at the prospect. Most of the traffic was driving reasonably for the conditions at least, and after several miles the fog began to thin considerably. By the time we reached 166 we were pretty much in the clear at ground level, but the cloud layer was low and heavy, and it was becoming downright chilly. I kept doing the arithmetic in my head: the number of miles to go, the average speed we'd probably make, how long until sunset; would we get there before dark? Not only that, but the darkening clouds looked as though we had a better than even chance of encountering rain. When we stopped for gas in Santa Maria I finally told Louis, "Okay, I give up. Let's look for a motel."

We checked into the Motel 6 and walked to supper at an Italian restaurant in the Holiday Inn next door. Despite the camping disappointment I managed to assuage my frustration with a plate of clams and linguine with a glass of Chianti, while Louis and I talked about restaurants, politics, books and movies.

We were pleasantly surprised the next morning to find the skies clear and sunny. I suggested we ride to the Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo for breakfast, then plot an interesting route home from there. After I entered the traffic on 101 I checked in my mirror and saw Louis falling farther and farther behind. Perhaps he was just letting the airhead get warmed up a little before getting up to speed, or maybe he had something of consequence to say to one of the car drivers around him. I slowed somewhat and watched. He didn't seem to be catching up, but he wasn't giving up and pulling over, either.

When I finally lost sight of him I pulled over to wait. He soon caught up and passed by, so I fell in behind him for a while until he pulled over to explain what was happening. The R100S was doing fine until it approached freeway speed, then had no power above 65 miles per hour or so. I was not the one to offer an immediate mechanical diagnosis. Since he was able to make reasonable speed, we continued to SLO where I introduced Louis to the joys of the Apple Farm menu.

It was time to resort to the MOA Anonymous book to find someone who might lend some assistance. As mentioned previously, this book has listings for BMW dealerships, but there are none near SLO, not to mention that it was Monday, when most motorcycle shops are closed. It was our luck to choose the number of a Jim Anderson in SLO who invited us to his house so we could analyze and tinker. The most obvious things were checked, including removing and cleaning the spark plugs, to no avail. Revving the engine still indicated something was amiss at higher RPMs. Since it was still running and capable of speeds acceptable for the slow lane, Louis decided the best thing was to attempt to limp home and solve the problem later.

Our main concern at that point was whether his bike could pull the Cuesta Grade between SLO and Santa Margarita. Fortunately it was no problem, but we stuck to the slab the rest of the way home just in case things got worse. I didn't want to ride together for four days then have poor Louis break down between Monterey and Santa Cruz without help, so I followed him as far as Moss Landing where he pulled over and assured me his bike could make from there.

As many will want to know, Louis later found out from Wayne at Cycle Revolution in Santa Cruz that his bike was suffering from a cracked diaphragm in one of the carburetors and is now good as new.

The trip was quite different than first envisioned, but an interesting adventure nonetheless, made even more enjoyable by an affable and enthusiastic riding companion. I'm only sorry there were so many who missed it.

Ron Aikins

[top of page]

Along the Prankster trail

A small band of pranksters (obscure literary reference) followed Ron Aikins to La Honda.

Here's the pre-ride description:

Join Putative President Redux, Ron Aikins, as he takes the group in the footsteps of Ken Kesey to La Honda.

Ron said:

"I'll lead a ride on the 3rd Sat., January 15, to the Merry Prankster Cafe in La Honda. Leave the Red Apple in Watsonville 9:00 AM."

It turns out that Kesey is gone and so is the Merry Prankster, but the eatery is still there, under new name and management. It is now called La Honda House & seems to have an appropriate lunch menu (hot sandwiches, salads, etc.) at reasonable prices, so La Honda will remain our lunch destination.

If you want breakfast, get to the Red Apple in time to be out and on your bike by nine.

Ron included a description of the ride is his February, 2005, column in the club newsletter.

[top of page]

Up the coast to Spanish Town

Saturday, December 18,

Gather at BMW Santa Cruz (in Watsonville) at 9:00 on Saturday morning, December 18.

We'll ride up the north coast, through the redwoods with a stop at Pescadero, and on to the Spanish Town restaurant in Half Moon Bay for lunch. The club has eaten there before, it's worth the trip.

In spite of what you might have heard, the ride is not being led by Mike Clark. We think it's going to be a Ride-for-Mexican-Food by Tom Brazier.

Rain cancels.

[top of page]

4 December 2004—Holiday Party: Ron and Donna invited the gang over to their place

Saturday, December 4, 2pm to 6pm

Xmas 2004

Master mechanic Ron Aikins goes formal
for a Service II on the Christmas fowl

We had a good turnout—there was free food, of course we had a good turnout—as Donna and Ron graciously hosted the club in Pacific Grove for our annual holiday party

[top of page]

6 November 2004—Dick Dodd takes us to lunch in SLO

Saturday, November 6. "From Here to Uncertainty"

Destination: the Apple Farm, San Luis Obispo

Dick "Ricardo" Dodd led the hungry to San Luis Obispo to eat at the Apple Farm.

Dick said, "No Mexican food this time. We'll leave from the usual Shell Station at Blanco & Main at 9:00 AM"

Riders were asked to show up with an empty tank and a full bladder.

Here's Dick's pre-ride description:


We will leave from the Shell Station at S.Main and Blanco, Salinas at 9am. We will arrive at the Apple Farm at 1p. If you wish to go straight there, it is off at Monterey St exit off 101 and turn left to Monterey. You'll run right in to it.

We will turn right on 68 out of the parking lot and go to River Rd. and head south to Fort Romie Rd to left on Arroyo Seca Rd to Coches Rd and turn left to Thorne. Turn left on Thorne to Old 101 in Greenfield. South to Walnut Ave and left to 2nd st. Right on 2nd St to Elm and left on Elm. Continue east to Metz and turn right on Metz in to King City. and south on Mesa Verde Rd to the Beacon Station for a 10 minute break. (If the Bee Rock Store is open on Interlake Rd, we will stop there for the first break.) Turn left on Wildhorse Rd and turn right on Cattleman Rd to San Lucas. Turn right on 198 and travel over the Salinas River to Lockwood Rd and left.

At stop sign in downtown Lockwood continue across to Interlake Rd to Chimney Rock Rd. Right on Chimney to Adelaida Rd through Adelaida to Vineyard Rd. Turn right. Follow Vineyard to Pesante Winery and turn left and travel to Chevron Station and stop for break #2. This will be a 15 minute break. Go south on Main St in Templeton to Vineyard and turn left at the light to Templeton Rd and turn right. Follow Templeton south past 41 and then notice Stud Farm on the left. (I did not see any studs, I just saw horses in the pasture.) Cross the river and follow to Santa Barbara ave, and turn right and turn left on Old 101 south through Santa Margarita. (yes I know I left out one road.) Santa Margarita to 101 south and to Monterey St to The Apple Farm.

Noteworthy note: If you have time, take Peachy Canyon Rd off of Vineyard in to Paso Robles. Wonderful Rd. Also, turn left on 41 and go to 229 and go through Creston south. To 58. Turn left on Park Hill Rd. Go to Las Palitas Rd and turn left follow to Pozo Rd and back to 58 and into Santa Margarita.

Thank you for attending the ride and ride your own ride.


23-24 October 2004: Ride to the Redwoods (cancelled)

The ride that wasn't.

Tom and Venita did their usual top-notch preparations for an overnighter up north. But in the end, it wasn't to be.

Due to a convergence of possible storms and light ennui, the ride was cancelled.

Some folks decided not to take it lying down and went to the Blackhawk Automobile Museum in Danville.

[top of page]

Saturday, September 18, 2004: Valley to Valley

News about the ride hasn't reached MBBR Web Central. Here's Chuck's pre-ride description:

"The ride will depart at 0900 hrs from "Portobell's" on South Main Street in Salinas on the southwest corner of the Nob Hill parking area. Yes, you can get breakfast before we leave.

We will be heading out on 68 to Laureles Grade to Carmel Valley Road. Going southeast we will go to Tasajara Rd. returning to Arroyo Seco Rd. to Elm Ave. through Greenfield to Metz Rd. then south into King City.

Lunch will be at "Guadalajara" in King City. This is Mexican food for Carlos!"

[top of page]

Saturday, August 21: The "Meander to Woodside"

Ride leader Ron Aikins led the club to Woodside for . . . wait for it, wait for it . . . lunch.

Ron's newsletter article can be found here.

[top of page]

Saturday, June 19: The "O Sole Mio" ride to Pacifica

Chuck Adkins slimmed down from eighteen wheels to two as he and Denny led a large contingent in search of pasta in Pacifica.

The ride left from Tiny's Restaurant in Capitola and snaked through the Santa Cruz Mountains on back roads and skinny state highways to Ristorante Portofino in Pacifica with a stop at Alice's Restaurant along the way.

Restaurant to restaurant to restaurant—notice a theme here?

[top of page]

[top of page]

Saturday, June 12: Club Summer Picnic at the Braziers' in Holister.

Not a ride, exactly, but on Saturday, June 12, the club gathered at Tom and Venita's new digs in Holister.

It was the usual Brazier event—gracious hospitality delivered without apparent effort in comfortable surroundings with good food, plenty to drink and a jovial crowd.

The club did what it does best: talk and eat, sometimes managing to do both at the same time.

[top of page]

Saturday, May 15, 2004, Steve and Betty turned left at the coast; the club followed.

Photo: at Hunter-Liggett

Mentoring: April ride leader Tom get pointers from May ride leader Steve.
(Photo taken at Hunter-Ligget, a year or so ago.)

Steve's pre-ride description:

It's going to be our famous Slow ride, with several stops, right down the Pacific Coast Highway to Cambria.

It's a good ride for new people at an easy pace. Last year we had lunch in San Simeon at a Mexican restaurant (and I expect to do the same this year though reservations have not been made yet).

It'll also be a one way ride so others can go back at their leisure by any route they want. Some of us will probably stay overnight in Cambria. (If you plan on spending the night, it's a good idea to make arrangements beforehand.)

The ride departs from Betty and Steve's house in Pacific Grove at 9:30. Contact the webmaster or check the May issue of the club newsletter for directions and details about getting to the house. We'll depart from our house (it's on the way) at 9:30. House tour at 9:00 (for all those who are interested in The Remodel).

There are a number of good breakfast choices in Pacific Grove for those who want to fuel up ahead of time.

[a ride report by Chuck Hof can be found here]

[top of page]

Saturday, April 17, 2004, Past-president Tom Brazier led the club to the edge of the Great Valley.

Everyone packed an appetite, this was a food ride. Tom's pre-ride notice said: "The ride leaves the Shell station on Blanco Road in Salinas at 9am. This is a rain or shine ride..." He was almost right: it was a rain and shine ride, a tour-de-force tour through the back-road hills of Central California and the back-room mountains of food at the Wool Growers Restaraunt. For some riders it was a six-county tour: Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Benito, Fresno, Merced, and Santa Clara. If you weren't there, you should of been. [click here to read all about what you missed] [top of page]

Saturday, March 13, Dick Dodd led a ride to Harris Ranch for lunch

Here's Dick ("Ricardo Doddriguez") Dodd's pre-ride description of that trip: THE "AHH, SMELL THAT MANURE," RIDE LEAVES FROM SHELL STATION AT BLANCO & SOUTH MAIN ST AT 9:00 am on March 13, 2004. l. Leave Shell and head towards Monterey to River Rd. Pick up Roy Lambert at River Rd & 68. 2. River Rd south over Chular Bridge to Chular and turn left and east on Chular Canyon Rd. 3. Turn right on Old Stage Rd to Iverson and turn left. 4. Iverson to Gloria Rd and turn left to Gloria-Camphora Rd and turn right to 101. 5. 101 to Soledad where we will see what is Happening. 6. Metz Rd south to Bitterwater Rd. FIRST BREAK. 10 MINUTES. 7. East on Bitterwater Rd to 25 and left on 25. 8. 25 north to Old Coalinga Rd and turn right. 9. Old Coalinga Rd to Gazos Creek Park for 10 minute break. 10. Gazos Creek RD to Gale and left on Gale to 198. 11. Left on 198 and Ahh Smell that Manure. to I/5 Total Ride distance is 3,457 miles. If you don't go on the ride how will you know that this mileage may be incorrect? The road is in good shape and there are two water crossings but water only an inch deep. Gravel in some corners. Helpful hint: On way back get gas in the town of Coalinga. It is cheaper by 10 to 12 cents than it is out by Harris Ranch. Ricardo (Dale adds, "Please bring your cameras for photos for the April newsletter.") [top of page]

Saturday, Feb. 20, 2004 , Mike Clark led a ride to Parkfield for lunch

Here's Mike's pre-ride description (it turned out that rain didn't cancel) Parkfield Ride-February 20, 2004 Leave Sang's at 9:00 AM via Highway 68 west to River Rd. River Rd south to Arroyo Seco Rd (SOLEDAD, not Greenfield) Small section of 101 north to Soledad. Through Soledad to Highway 146 to Metz Road Metz Road to King City Broadway to US 101 (north) to Jolon Road (south) Gas/Rest at the Pine Canyon Gas station, Jolon Rd. (ca. 53 miles) Jolon Road all the way to US 101 (east side of Lake San Antonio). US 101 south Bradley Road south to US 101 US 101 south to San Miguel Gas/Rest at San Miguel (Ca. 137 miles) From here, it's 52 round-trip miles to Parkfield and back. San Miguel to Vineyard Canyon to Parkfield LUNCH [Option: find your own way home or follow me up Highway 25] [Caution: some of the roads on the return trip are prone to accumulation of mud and gravel from recent stormy weather] Back down Vineyard Canyon to San Miguel Short Gas/Rest stop (if you're going back via 125, it's about 110-120 miles to gas, depending on your route. I don't plan on any gas stops from here until home. ) US 101 to San Ardo Cattleman Road to Pine Valley [caution: narrow, one lane road] Highway 198 to Highway 25 Highway 25 to Pinnacles Rest (no gas) at Pinnacles back on 25 north Old Airport Road to Cienega Road (past Hollister Hills) to Union Rd to Highway 156 to however-you-get-home-from-here; I continue across 156 and work my way to Highway 129 and thence north to home.... [top of page]

[top of page]